To conduct a search, type one or more words into the search box at the top of the main page and click on the go button, or press enter on your keyboard.
When you submit a search, you will then see a page (or pages) that provide a list of results matching your search criteria.
By default, Iberian Books returns 10 results per page, and a short summary of the text around the terms for which you searched.
If there is more than one page of results you will see the number of pages at the top and bottom of the screen.
To move on to the next page of results click on the next button or click on the number of the page you wish to view.
You can use Boolean operators AND, OR and NOT to refine your search results.
Using the AND function when searching will allow you to get results which contain both words you are searching for. To use the AND function just type the two words in the search box. The search engine understands that AND is required.
For example Madrid Barcelona
The description of all of your search results will contain both words.
Using the OR function when searching will allow you to find items that contain either one or other of the words for which you have searched. For example, Madrid OR Barcelona
This search has retrieved all records which contain the words Madrid or Barcelona.
You can use the NOT function to exclude words from your search. For example, Madrid NOT Barcelona. This will retrieve all the items which contain the word Madrid in the description except those which also contain the word Barcelona.
Combined Boolean Operators
You can also combine AND, OR and NOT searches. For example, if you would like to search for results that contain the subject of religious in either Madrid or Barcelona, you should type (Madrid OR Barcelona) literature in the search box.
You could also use this combined AND and OR search in the following way. To search for the terms Literature or Poetry in either Madrid or Barcelona you should type (Madrid OR Barcelona)(Literature or Poetry).
Placing quotes around a phrase will search for the exact phrase. For example "sanctae Catharinae Martyris"
The UCD Digital Library uses the Apache Solr search platform, which allows for more advanced search options.
You can search for words within 3 words from each other. For example: dc.title:"Fernando Orellana"~3. This searches for Fernando and Orellana within 3 words of each other in a Title field. You can raise or lower the distance between words.
Date range searching
You can search for a date range by using the following syntax: dc.date:[1580 TO 1625]
Within any field, you can use wildcard matching. dc.title:re?na napul*
Eliminate terms from the search
If you have a specific term that you wish to eliminate from the search, you can do so by choosing the field (e.g. dc.language), choose the term, and prefix the search query with a minus symbol. For example, -dc.language:Latin will eleminate results written in Latin.
Equally, you can limit your search to only include a specific term. +dc.language:Latin
Combined range searching
You can combine date ranges, boolean searching and delimiters to certain fields.
For example, dc.date:[1580 TO 1599] AND dc.coverage:Madrid
Other delimiters include:
- dc.date (key date)
- dc.coverage (geographic area)
- dc.format (folios, pages, etc)
- dc.subject (topic/keywords)
- dc:contributor (anyone associated with the text, for example, author, publisher, printer, etc)
The Advanced Search allows you to pre-filter your results. The free text search boxes and limiters available are:
- Title/Keyword: Enter free text words to search titles or keywords
- Author: Enter free text name to search the author index
- Printer: Enter free text name to search the printer index
- Women authors (checkbox): Click to limit the search to known women authors, recorded in dc.subject
- Women printers (checkbox): Click to limit the search to known women printers, recorded in dc.subject
- Women litigants (checkbox): Click to limit the search to known women litigants, recorded in dc.subject
- Place of printing: Enter free text place name to search for where the volumes were printed
- Year: Allows you to limit the search by date of publication To search for a range, use the FROM and TO fields
- Number of sheets: 'Sheets' identifies the total number of paper sheets used in the formation of a book. As books can be produced from half-sheets, other segments of a sheet of paper, or multiple sheets, values are expressed as floating-point numbers. To enter a range of values, use FROM and TO
- Language: Limit by the language of the printed text using the controlled vocabulary listing
- Format: Limit by the format of the printed book using the controlled vocabulary listing e.g., 2o, broadsheet, 2o oblong
- Topic: Limit by the topics asssigned by the project staff, using the controlled vocabulary listing
- Country: Limit by the country of publication, using the controlled vocabulary listing
- Citation:Limit the search by where the references have been recorded: IB (Iberian Books); ISTC (Inculabula Short Title Catalogue); USTC (Universal Short Title Catalogue)
- Digital copies only: Click the checkbox to limit the search to only display records that have a digital copy